Size of the Opportunity
- Non-cash trade accounts for nearly 30 percent of the world’s total business.
- 70% of all Fortune 500 companies utilize trade on a regular basis equating to billions of dollars of transactions annually.
- Over 65% of the corporations listed in the New York Stock Exchange are presently utilizing trade to reduce surplus inventory, bolster sales, and ensure that production facilities run at capacity.
- The International Reciprocal Trade Association estimates that approximately 400,000 businesses engage in non-cash trade in the United States.
- 20% - 25% of world trade is some form of counter-trade.
- 3.4% of SME businesses in Australia engage in reciprocal trade.
- On the 60th anniversary of the Swiss WIR excess capacity trade system, annual volume in reached over $2 billion US dollars – with approximately 80,000 members (20% of all Swiss businesses) nationally.
- At its peak in 2001-2002, an estimated 6 to 10 million Argentines participated in the Red Global de Trueque barter system, including doctors, manufacturers, and even railways, turning over approximately 6 billion US dollars per annum in transactions and accounted for approximately 15% of Argentina’s mean personal income.